Wednesday, October 21, 2015

9.2 Clarity Part 2

Tighten wordy sentences

This is always an issue when I write papers. Wordiness happens when the writer repeat themselves or add phrases that are unnecessary. Other students have commented on my wordiness and this topic has given me some tips on how to reduce it.

"To summarize what Spohn argues in her article, she claims that discrimination is experienced at all the levels of the criminal justice system" (Duron).

Provide some variety

This topic explains that sometimes writers often have the same structured paragraphs, and suggests to occasionally mix up the sentences. Some examples are moving the adjectives to the front of the sentence or inverting them completely. This topic can help my paper because I tend to have the same opening sentence because I find it easier to start off the same way every time.

Emphasize key ideas

I believe this is an important topic to learn about because it can enhance a paper tremendously. In order to emphasize the key ideas, writers can combine choppy sentences, coordinate equal ideas, and subordinate minor ideas. When combining two sentences that hold equally important ideas, writers will coordinate these ideas.

Choose appropriate language

How a writer chooses to word their paper is very important. When writing papers, avoid slang and sexist language. There is also a such thing as being too formal or informal and it depends on the subject or audience.

"The professionals that she cites within her article are all very informed and have written numerous scholarly articles, which indicates they are familiar in the field of study" (Duron).

Steven

1 comment:

  1. Good choice of clarity topics and the example sentences from your draft were great. I just learned after reading yours I omitted mine. I had to stop myself right now because I was starting to write a "wordy sentence".

    ReplyDelete